End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Contents:

Travel Costs


Guideline of the Faculty concerning permissions for travel activities starting from the 1st of January 2023 for the period 1st January 2023 until 31th of December 2024

NEW: Granting of travel allowances

Within this new period the granting of travel allowances, which should be financed over global budget, is not only possible for the active participation on conferences but also for initial approaches for business/projects (meetings), network activities, field research in specific areas, and other activities (workshops, summer schools, and something similar). Significant documents must be attached. The authorized head of the institute/center is responsible for a content review and the confirmation through her/his signature. Indispensable for the correct proceeding is the submission of a complete documentation (invitations, acceptances – as usual for conferences – program overviews, offers for the trip costs, like flights, rail trips, accommodation, and respectively descriptions/reasons in detail for other special travel activities). Applications without documents cannot be treated, they will be sent back. The combination of travel activities for the University and private stays must be declared explicitly. Offers for comparison must be added (flight, train, public transportation). If the start of the journey will take place 2 or 3 days earlier, it must be clarified explicitly too, otherwise it will be treated like a private stay and the accommodation for this time won´t be paid.

Annual maximum/person
A maximum of € 2 800 per person can be made available biennially to academic university staff of the faculty using funds from the global budget.


  1. Staff financed over global budget = university assistants with or without doctorate degrees, senior scientists with or without doctorate degrees, university professors. The staff mentioned before will primarily be financed from global budget accounts. If this budget is completely consumed (annual maximum/person), exclusively ABZ-accounts can be used for financing additional journeys. Financing over §27...00000 (accumulated third-party fund/unit) is always possible. Important is: the authorized head of the institute/center is responsible for the budget sovereignty. Through his/her signature will be confirmed that the particular application for travel allowance is correct with regards to content and budget (covered accounts of third-party funds).
  2. Staff paid over global budget = project assistants with or without doctorate degrees (financed over AEP or AVO accounts). In this case the procedure is the same as pointed out under 1.
  3. Staff paid over third-party funds = project assistants). Costs for travelling can only be accepted and financed from third-party funds (§27 or §28). This applies especially persons, who first had been at employed over a third-party fund project and whose worktime has been increased over a global budget account. The origin employment (project assistants financed from §27 or §28) is the determining factor for further financing. For this staff the financing over A27…00000 (accumulated third-party fund account) is possible too.


  • Travelling activities under the granting of a travel allowance are based on the guidelines of profitability, purposefulness, economy and legitimacy.
  • An approved application (leave of absence under granting of a travel allowance) must be present before the undertaking of the journey.
  • These applications have to be submitted through official channels (which means from the academic unit to the respective dean´s office) to the personnel unit. These have to be supplied three weeks before the undertaking of the journey and submitted to the dean´s office. An application is considered submitted upon reaching the dean´s office/organizational unit.
  • If more employees of an academic/administrative unit apply for a travelling activity for the same purpose, these applications shall be submitted through official channels at the same time.

Business trips can be applied

  • For journeys on behalf of the rector, the university director or by order of the Federal Ministry
  • For journeys of members of university-law conform bodies, committees and organizations that are necessary for the exercise of this function
  • For accompanying persons at compulsory excursions – compulsory excursions have to be approved by the dean!
  • For the non-scientific university staff for participation in training/educational events

Policy by the Rector's Office on Granting Travel Allowances to Members of the Academic University Staff

End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Additional information:

End of this page section.